Period Cramps and PMS
Period Cramps and PMS
Tired of Excruciating Monthly Period Cramps and PMS?
Are you, or someone you know, suffering from period cramps. Would you like to have an option to pain medicine (NSAID’s) or the birth control pill?
Then you should be thinking about Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine. In my private practice, PMS and menstrual cramps are common reasons for seeking treatment with acupuncture and herbs, as these methods tend to be very effective and safe options for most women. Chinese Medicine, including acupuncture, have enjoyed a rich history in treating gynecological issues. Numerous women turn to this style of treatment for numerous female health issues. PMS and menstrual cramping respond very well to treatment. The key is to give it sufficient time to work. My experience has been that it can take 2 to 4 menstrual cycles to harmonize the system. Women younger than 25 typically respond quicker with acupuncture and herbs, while women in their 30’s and 40’s may need to be more patient with treatment. Typically, the longer you have had the symptoms, the longer it may take to achieve results.
Most ladies assume that intense period cramps are a normal monthly occurrence. Something they will have to live with until menopause. Just not true. Yes, some cramping with menses is normal. It is when that cramping becomes so intense that normal daily functions are affected you should be concerned. This is a signal of an imbalance that has occurred in your body. In Chinese Medicine, it is mostly due to the stagnation of one system. The primary cause of this stagnation is usually emotional in nature and is specifically related to the suppression of anger and frustration. When you feel stuck in your life and your true self is thwarted, the natural outcome is anger and frustration. If this continues over time, then systems start to stagnate. This, in turn, causes the symptoms of PMS and cramping.
By asking questions and using other diagnostic tools. The system or combination of systems not functioning properly can be determined. Then a recommended treatment plan of acupuncture &/or herbs can be suggested.
You don’t have to put up with monthly uncomfortable symptoms. It is not normal to be doubled over in pain for 3 days, with your heating pad, during your menses. Hating the world and everything in it. There are options to harmonizing these systems. You can live a normal life once the normal order of your body and mind is restored.
In addition to acupuncture and herbs, the following suggestions are extremely helpful in reducing painful periods and other PMS symptoms.
- Increase your dark leafy greens. These contain nutrients that decrease muscle contraction. They are also mildly cleansing and move stagnation from the body.
- Daily Raspberry Tea. This is a mild uterine tonic.
- No Alcohol
- Decrease coffee. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, it can make symptoms worse by constricting blood flow.
- Phosphatidylcholine supplement or be sure you are eating nuts, seeds, dandelion greens, and egg yolks. This can help estrogen related problems causing PMS.
- Folic Acid
- 5 htp supplement: This is a natural precursor to serotonin that is helpful for stabilizing moods and reducing cravings. Can also relieve fatigue and Insomnia.
- Take calcium citrate & Magnesium supplements.
- Vitamin B6: For symptoms of PMS use 50-100 mg.
- Avoid refined sugar.