Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine for Lymphedema.
There are a number of complications that can develop after breast cancer treatment. Several studies show that acupuncture may help decrease the effect of those symptoms. Fatigue, hot flashes, nausea, and pain can be relieved with acupuncture treatments. Even lymphedema has shown improvement with acupuncture and practices of qi gong.
Is it a good idea to use acupuncture for lymphedema? Anyone who has had lymph nodes removed from under the arm knows, and has been told not to have needles inserted into that arm. So how can acupuncture help then. One reason is because I use a distal method of acupuncture. This method uses the power of treating away from the problem areas, as for example by using opposite limbs, to illicit healing responses elsewhere in the body. So, none of the needles would need to be inserted into the affected arm to treat that arm. This happens because the stimulus from acupuncture creates a cascade of signaling throughout the fascia, involving the blood, nerves, and immune system. When treating distally this way we don’t have to worry about causing any problems in the affected limb. Then by combining the acupuncture with qi gong movements you increase the opportunity for healing and less symptoms. By increasing the circulation in the affected limb. The trick is to keep up with the exercises so that long term benefits can achieved.
Nutrition and Lifestyle changes that are also beneficial will receiving cancer treatments include:
· Eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables of all colors. Especially, mushrooms, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, squash, sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, berries, apples, cherries, grapes, and plums.
· Avoid sugar.
· Drink warm or hot liquids with meals. Cold or ice-cold drinks cause restriction of blood flow.
· Avoid fast foods, processed foods, artificial sugars and carbonated drinks.
· Relax, & avoid stress whenever possible. Stress can lower your immune system.
· Get to sleep by 10:00 p.m. Your rest is critical at this point.
· Exercise routinely. Do the qi gong exercise that accompanies this article 24 times 2 times a day.